Darkour - Demos, Alphas, and Lots of Rework
It's been way too long since my last update. However, I have a very good reason: a crucial piece of feedback I got was that several of my levels required boring, repetitive movement. It was a great piece of feedback, but it meant that I had to spend a lot of time reworking levels until they were satisfactory. Nevertheless, there are plenty of other things I've added that I can't summarize in a devlog title. In fact, you can see some of those updates on my Twitter page, so I'll just list them here:
- Light beams that move back and forth have rails that show when they'll turn.
- Launchpads (and their black and white variants) were added.
- There is a "tutorial" that demonstrates the long wall jump in the 4th level when the player dies 3 times.
- Switches that turns things on or off were added.
- When the player shifts color, the player leaves behind a short, fading trail.
- As you have read above, several levels were reworked.
- There are now 80 levels total. However, they're not all readily available, and that's because...
Until the full release of Darkour (which I hope to be around early October), the versions available now are the Demo version and the Alpha version.
The Demo version had some of the updates above included, but is limited to 40 levels. This is because:
- I predicted that showing 40 levels would be enough time for a player to judge whether or not they liked my game, since I intend for Darkour to be really hard. In fact, when I showcased this game during May of this year, there was only 1 player that managed to complete 40 levels within an hour. Thankfully, it seemed that, despite the high difficulty, plenty of people enjoyed the game enough, and were determined enough, to play as much as they could!
- It was for marketing purposes (might as well be transparent about this, right?). I wanted people to sign up for my mailing list, which includes the alpha build, and having this list would allow me to interact more with my audience.
As for the Alpha version, this build has 70 levels. This version includes:
- Levels with platforms, spikes, and launchpads that are black or white
- Levels with enemies that follow the player when the player is of the same color
So, if the last time you've played Darkour was when I last made a devlog post (which was 5 months ago), there are plenty of new features to check out!
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.